Documenting the exploits of a team of runners and cyclists in Northern West Virginia

Friday, June 26, 2015

Ragnar Appalachians 2015

"First of all, its pronounced with a short "a" sound in the middle, like you're threatening to hit somebody with an apple.  'You keep on and I'm gonna throw this apple 'atcha.'  Like that.  Secondly, that lady you're complaining about from the Nats game was right; that was no way to talk in front of children and you SHOULD be ashamed of yourself."

Pretend conversation between me and the foul-mouthed runners camping next door notwithstanding, Ragnar Appalachia 2015 was off to a decent start.  Sunny skies and low humidity greeted my teammate and me as we staked out our spot.  Despite arriving a day before the race, we had to camp over a quarter-mile away from the starting line.  No problem though, we are trail runners, whats a little extra gravel?
Approaching bands of purple radar blobs.  I didn't even know purple was a radar color, but I don't watch TV weather much.


Pre-race steaks on the grill, feet up, cold beverage at the ready, life was just peachy.

Grill marks.  I does them.
A quick cruise of the venue, some last minute squaring-away and then nothing to do but get horizontal and rest up for the race.

A few moments after dozing off, wet nylon slapped me across the face.  Our tent convulsed in the wind like it was trying to vomit us out into the mud.  I raised out of my bag and shone a light through the flapping door into the fury.  Our team canopy was still there, quivering in place as all hell broke loose around it.

Pre-Armageddon picture


I squirrelled down deeper into my bag and tried to ignore the drops of water hitting my bald head.  I dozed a bit but woke again to screaming lightning.  I shone my little light out again to where the canopy should be.  Nothing there.  The winds had ripped it from the ground and sent it to who knows where.  Joe and I found what was left of it a short distance away.

Post-Armageddon, not much left

We skinned what was left of the canopy and lashed the bones down in place.  During the brief lulls in the storm, cries of defiance arose from the campground.  "Is that all you've got!?  Bring it on!"  We swamped our way back into our tent and tried to sleep for a few hours as the worst of the storm passed overhead. 

Night eventually faded into a hard grey dawn.  Clouds still pressed in upon us, but the rain had stopped.  Teammates started showing up.  Soon enough, we were at full Goat strength and ready to send out our first runner:

 


Our first two runners crushed the Green and Yellow loops.  Runner three hit the dreaded Red loop just as the skies opened up again.  I think she still managed to enjoy herself while putting up a killer time.



I drew the seventh slot, so I ran the easy Green loop in the evening, then some pasta and gatorade before hitting the Red loop at 4:00 AM.  It sucked.  I could barely walk it without falling down every 10 feet.  I made a small tactical error in shoe selection.  I went with my Cascadia's in hopes of protecting my tender ankle:
Not the lack of aggressive grippy bits.



Note the presence of aggressive grippy bits.
I should have stuck with my Salomon Fellcross'.  I dont think my ankle could have hurt any worse than it did and at least I could have gotten it over with quicker.  1:50 later I stumbled across the finish line, then stumbled the additional .35 miles back to camp.  A Coors Light and a Snickers bar brought me back to life, and I was able to do this on our last loop:

Overall, I really liked the Green and Yellow loops.  I'm not sure that running the Red Loop in the daylight would have helped much, traction was more my problem than vision.  Good times, looking forward to next year. 



No comments:

Post a Comment