Documenting the exploits of a team of runners and cyclists in Northern West Virginia

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Suffering and Silliness That is XC Bike Racing




Another installment from CER's resident wordsmythe, Jason Stewart.  Enjoy!


My chest heaved up and down in time with my pedals as I inched my way up the crumbling sandstone face of Rhododendron Trail.  I wiped the sweat out of my eyes and caught sight of House pulling away over the crest, vaporizing whatever time I just put into him through the last descent.  I had pushed right up to the edge of good judgment on the downhill, keeping off the brakes and powering through the turns, but I was all out of downhill and it was time to pay up.  I normally look forward to the climbs, but not today.  Definitely not today.  I hadn’t put the training in to make a move on the guy.  My first trip up Rhododendron had put me in my pain cave and now I was back in it again, only deeper.  I took a warm swig of orange/vomit flavored water from my bottle and tried to find a strong gear to turn over.  I couldn’t spin much more than granny gear.  

As I plodded up, up, up, a thought started to form; a description of the suffering and ultimate silliness that is cross country mountain bike racing.  To my oxygen-deprived mind came an imagined conversation in which I tried to explain to my wife exactly what I have been doing with my evenings and weekends for the past five years:  

Honey, I'm going to go out in the woods and beat myself about the head, neck, and chest with a stick.  This will be painful, but my plan is to keep doing this a couple times a week until I can go for hours and hours on end without stopping.  Then, when I get really good at it, I’m going to get together with a bunch of my friends and pay some guy named Gunnar $35 to let me run around in a circle in his back yard while I beat myself up with my stick.  First person to make two laps around the yard wins.  Except for the really advanced self-whackers; they have to go around three times.  ‘Wins what’, you ask?  Why, wins the big race of course.   

Further, this won’t be cheap.  As my stick swinging skills improve, I will need to buy special whacking gloves, shoes and a jersey.  Some bibs and a fancy plastic hat would be nice too.  And this stick, this stick is almost a year old.  There isn’t anything necessarily wrong with it, but my friends all have these new, super light sticks.  If I had a stick like theirs, I bet I could beat the hell out of myself at a fairly high level.  I found one I like, the sticker price is $3500 but I’ve been spending a lot of time in the stick shop and the owner is going to knock $500 off, just for me.”

Pretty much sums it up.  I entertained myself with my little delusion past Rock City and down the Ridge Trail chute to the Mont Chateau bridge.  Just before crossing, I heard somebody behind me say “good lines back there, man”.  The rider in the Pro Mountain Outfitters kit then pulled away from me on up the rocky creek bed, steady and strong, just like I would have done if I could have. 

Past the Iron Furnace for the second time and up the Rail Grade trail to the finish.  Warhorse and House were both there, looking cool and composed.  “Good job Stew” somebody said as I collapsed into the grass and gravel, sucking the bottom out of my Camelbak.  I composed myself just in time see Joe climb up past the finish tent; crushing the 5:00 handicap he hustled out of me right before the start.  Damn, I mean, “good job, Joe”.   

My only shot at a small victory on the day would now depend on whether or not I beat my nemesis.  The dude had trash talked me at the Big Bear Classic earlier in the year and I had never forgotten it.  It was the first time anyone had ever said an unpleasant word to me on any course.  I actually had people say something to me twice out there this year.  Anyway, I remember passing him on a long gravel climb about halfway into the Classic on that cold April morning.  As I started to pull away he wheezed “you’re breathing hard”.  I grinned and replied “well, I’m working hard”.  “That’s stupid” came his retort, followed by “it’s a long race, see you in a few miles”.  Not exactly hard core stuff, but grudges are light and I carry them easily.  I ended up beating him that day and if I beat him again today it would be a sweep for the season.   

I searched the results table, ate some pizza, changed clothes, checked the results, used the facilities and checked the results again.  No sign of the guy.  I was certain I had seen him there, I even tried to tail him for a while until my group left his group behind.  I couldn’t find his name anywhere and it was time to roll out.  I congratulated my teammates and friends and headed back home for a nap and a reevaluation of my chosen leisure activity.

I checked the results online the next day and found that I got the dude by over twenty minutes.  Yes.  Undefeated against the forces of evil on the year.  Maybe that race wasn’t so bad after all.  If I could just put in some more base miles and not take my customary post XTERRA break, I bet my fitness would improve.  Some new grips would probably help too.  And a fancy new plastic hat.  So forth and so on…   

No comments:

Post a Comment